Why take part?
The Great Aussie Camp Out (GACO) is an ideal opportunity to:
- Connect with the local community
- Raise the profile of your organisation to families and the local community
- Support and participate in an annual outdoor event in Australia
- Provide a way for people to:
- Experience camping and have fun
- Connect with the nature and the outdoors
What options are there?
Which ever option you choose, you are taking part in GACO, the biggest camping event in Australia!
- Register your campsite at the GACO website and promote to potential participants, or
- Register an event that you will be hosting on the day, or
- Simply register those clients who happen to be at your site on the day
What are the responsibilities of a campsite organiser?
- Register your campsite at the GACO website
- Promote your site to potential Great Aussie Camp Out participants in your community - local newspapers, radio, posters and letterbox drops.
- Provide a suitable area for participants to camp – consider numbers, noise, environmental damage
- Provide a suitable water supply, toilet and rubbish collection facilities
- Consider appropriate risk management strategies – knowledeable staff, security, emergency plans, access, first aid, bad weather ... (see GACO website for more info)
- Consider hosting a large group meal – BBQ or camp cooking
- Consider suitable activities for groups and families – games, singalongs, nature awareness
Need further information?
The official GACO website has a range of Info Fact Sheets and links to other useful sites.