Why take part?
The Great Aussie Camp Out (GACO) is an ideal opportunity to:
- Have fun
- Teach the kids a few new skills
- Connect with the nature and the outdoors
- Be a part of the biggest camping event in Australia
- Save on power
- Break out the dusty camping gear stored away in the back of your cupboard
Camping in your own backyard gives you the chance to have a new experience without stepping too far away from the comforts of your own home.
What can you do?
- Pitch a tent in your own backyard or at a friends house
- Cook dinner outside – fire up the barbie or use a camp cooker
- Toast marshmallows, make damper, fry sausages ...
- Discover what happens outside at night
- Which creatures come out to play & which ones go to bed
- Try stargazing
- Tell scary stories, sing songs or listen to the sounds of the night
- Be careful – we want GACO to be fun, exciting and safe!
How to get others involved:
Camp with friends! If you have a big backyard, invite your friends and family to come and camp in your backyard. Tell everyone you know about the Great Aussie Camp Out, word of mouth is the best way to get your friends and family involved.
Need further information?
The official GACO website has a range of Info Fact Sheets and links to other useful sites.